Pumpkin Brown Butter Maple
Makes 3 – 6” Layers or 2 – 8” Layers
or 12-14 cupcakes
Unsalted Butter Room Temperature – 116 grams (1 Stick)
All-Purpose Flour – 250 grams
White Sugar – 200 grams
Brown Sugar – 110 grams
Canned Pumpkin Puree – 16 ounces
Vegetable or Canola Oil – 100 grams
Eggs – 4 Large
Baking Soda – 1 teaspoon
Baking Powder – 2 teaspoons
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Pumpkin Spice – 3 teaspoons
One batch prepared brown butter (Needs 6 sticks)
Powdered Sugar – 5-6 cups SIFTED
1-1.5 teaspoons salt to taste
Roughly ¼ cup maple syrup for brushing
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line your pans or cupcake liners or prepare the pans with baking spray.
3. In a medium bowl, sift the baking soda, baking powder, flour, salt and pumpkin spice. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of your mixer, place the room temperature butter, pumpkin puree, oil, both sugars and
Mix on medium for 1 minute.
5. Add in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
6. Once all the eggs have been added, add the dry ingredients mixture ½ cup at a time until all incorporated.
7. Scrape down the bowl of the mixer and run the mixer for 10-20 seconds.
8. Divide the batter evenly among the pans or cupcake liners that you’re using.
*Oven times will vary. For a 6 inch 3 layer, the time is approximately 30 minutes. Check for doneness around 25-28 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean! 8” layers will take roughly 40-45 minutes. Cupcakes will take 20-25 minutes.
1. Place the brown butter in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
2. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt on to the butter.
3. Cream the butter on medium for about 3 minutes.
4. Sift 6 cups of powdered sugar into a larger bowl.
5. Add in the powdered sugar to the butter by the cup on slow speed until desired consistency is reached.
6. Finish by mixing on medium for about a minute to completely combine.
7. Now you may use this to frost your cakes! Brush the maple syrup between the cake layers with a pastry brush prior to filling with buttercream.